Monday, July 14, 2014

Rosewater - One of My Very Favorite Things

I have completely and totally fallen head over heels in love with rosewater this summer.  Rosewater is made from distilled water and roses.  The roses are steamed in the distilled water and the condensation captured.  This condensated water is rosewater.  Rosewater is not cheap, but it is not nearly as expensive as rose oil.  A decent bottle of rosewater will run you anywhere from $15-$25 for 16 ounces, but it will last several months.  Rose oil, however, is another bird altogether.  It takes roughly 60,000 roses to make 1 ounce of rose oil.  The average cost of rose oil is roughly $500-$700 per ounce.  Yes, you did read that correctly.  This is why I don't own any rose oil and instead use rosewater.  The only real drawback to rosewater is that because it is water based the scent does not last as long as I would like.  Other than the totally awesome scent, rosewater has a number of benefits particularly to the skin. 

Rosewater is an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant.  It is also a fabulous moisturizer and has been used for thousands of years for this purpose.  It contains natural oils that help trap moisture in the skin without clogging pores and causing those ugly blackheads.  Rosewater also can help repair sun damage and reduce puffiness under the eyes.  It can be blended with coconut oil and used as a makeup remover.  It can also be used alone or blended with essential oils to be lightly sprayed onto the skin after applying makeup as a setting spray.  Rosewater is also often used as a toner and can be applied before or after moisturizing before bed.  Lastly, it just plain smells fantastic.  I pretty much have rosewater on my person at all times.  Multiple times a day I spray my face and/or hair just to refresh especially in the summer.  It also tends to lighten my mood and just make me feel better.  I am listing my favorite mix of rosewater and essential oils below.  You can try any variety of oils and rosewater you wish, but this one is my personal favorite.  This was adapted from the fabulous Camp Wander website at http://campwander.com/2014/07/rosewater-body-sprays/.

Lavender-Frankincense Rosewater Spray:
2 oz *PET1 or glass spray bottle (*you can find these in the travel aisle)
10 drops frankincense essential oil
20 drops lavender essential oil

Place essential oils into spray bottle and top off with rosewater.  Shake lightly to blend.  To use, simply spray anywhere that suits your fancy.  I use this often on my face, hair, body, and even spray my pillow at night before sleeping.  Nothing says sweet dreams like falling asleep to the scent of lavender and roses!

*PET1 is simply a specific type of recycling designation.  Anytime essential oils are going to be placed into a plastic container, it MUST contain the PET1 designation on the bottle.  Regular plastic bottles will interact chemically with the essential oils and can be dangerous.  Most travel, shampoo, food, and cosmetic containers are PET1.  I often sterilize spice containers, lotion bottles, and cosmetic bottles to re-use to save money.  Glass is always safe for essential oils; however, I am a klutz so glass is a no-no for me.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment