Friday, July 11, 2014

Beginnings...

For those of you who know me, I've been talking about doing this forever.  For those who do not, here is a little background...

I am a 4-year breast cancer survivor who developed extremely sensitive skin after completing chemotherapy.  I found that many of my store-bought bath and beauty products as well as laundry detergents and cleaning products were irritating my skin and causing breakouts and even hives.  As a result of this, I began to start making many of my own products.  I started with some simple laundry and cleaning products.  From this, I have grown to making bath and beauty products as well as some homeopathic and all-natural health products.  This blog is born of a desire to share what I have learned with my friends and family.  I truly believe that much of the rise in illness, autism, and many other such diseases that seem so prevalent today are a result of all of the chemicals we take into our bodies everyday with processed foods and convenience products.  Although it is virtually impossible to eliminate all such products from our lives, we can certainly simplify what we rub on our skin, clean our homes and clothing with, and at least to some degree what we consume.  My goal with this blog is to share what I've learned and provide resources and recipes for various products I use.  I do have an Etsy store where I will sale some of my products for those who wish to use all natural products but do not have the time, inclination, or resources to make their own.

I decided to start this journey with the first product I began making - Laundry Detergent.  If you've ever researched homemade laundry detergent, you will see there are literally hundreds of recipes out there.  I have tried at least 10 different variations myself and for the past year or so have settled on the recipe below.  It is easy to make, very inexpensive, and does a great job cleaning.  I have adapted my recipe from One Good Thing by Jilleee's Super Concentrated No-Grate Liquid Laundry Detergent found at http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2013/03/super-concentrated-no-grate-liquid-laundry-detergent.html

You will need:
1/2 cup Borax
1/2 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (found on the laundry aisle with the Borax)
1/2 cup dishwashing liquid
1/4 cup OxiClean
Essential Oils for fragrance per preference

This recipe is for use in an 89 ounce orange juice container.  These containers are great for laundry detergent; however, if you do not have any such containers, the recipe can easily be modified for a 1 gallon container and is as follows: 3/4 cup Borax, 3/4 cup washing soda, 3/4 cup dishwashing liquid, 1/3 cup OxiClean.

Place dry ingredients in your container and add warm water until 1/3 to 1/2 full.  Shake vigorously until mixed well.  Continue to fill with warm water until about 3 inches from the top.  Add dishwashing liquid and essential oils and gently shake to stir.  Most recipes call for Dawn dishwashing liquid because of its grease-fighting abilities.  My skin is so sensitive that the Dawn actually caused hives.  I use Seventh Generation Free and Clear Dish Detergent and have had great results.  Just be sure your dish detergent does say it fights grease.  The essential oils are used mostly for fragrance purposes but can also help with cleansing and germ fighting.  I use lavender but will generally add a little tea tree for its anti-bacterial properties.  Other good possibilities are lemon, peppermint, or geranium.  This is safe for HE and regular washing machines.  You'll use about 1/4 cup on a medium/large load but can use a little more for an extra large load or for extremely soiled clothing.

I hope this first post has provided you with something you didn't know.  Most of my posts will not be this long, so please don't be afraid to come back.  I'm happy to be sharing something that I've developed such a passion for with you!



No comments:

Post a Comment